Discovering Another Side To Emilia-Romagna – March 2016
Our insider’s tip for lunch: head a few minutes down the road to Taverna Re Lasagna, a rustic Bolognese trattoria run by a father-son team serving dishes of the local tradition: tortellini, tortellacci, tagliatelle, cannelloni, and, of course, lasagna, all made following the tradition of the sfogline, the Bolognese women who patiently knead and roll the dough, strictly by hand, to achieve the perfect texture for pasta fresca all’uovo. The trattoria’s owner, Gilberto Argini, a born-and-bred Bolognese, is the man behind the “Lasagne alla Bolognese in the box”, an idea designed to bring authentic lasagna to the world. The box in fact contains all the ingredients necessary to make an authentic lasagna alla bolognese dish at home. As blasphemous as it may sound (a lasagna kit?), we at ITALY Magazine have tried it and can say we were quite impressed with the results. Argini uses only high-quality products from local companies, the same philosophy he applies to his friendly trattoria. And if you want to learn how to make fresh pasta at home, the ever-ingenious Gilberto now offers cooking classes via Skype to teach the art of the region’s cuisine.
READ MORE >>>
Museo Marconi: The origins and development of radio communication
The first stop on this day trip in the surroundings of beautiful Bologna is Villa Griffone. Purchased in the mid-19th century, Villa Griffone is where Bologna-born inventor and electrical engineer Guglielmo Marconi spent his young years and where he carried out his first experiments on radio (1895), as remembered on a plaque placed on the facade of the villa. The rooms of the villa, a National Monument, are home today to the Marconi Museum, which is dedicated to the origins and development of radio communications. READ MORE >>>
Taverna Re Lasagna is conveniently located near another point of great historical interest: the Etruscan site of Kainua. Standing above the town of Marzabotto, Kainua, known until a few years ago with the name of Misa, was founded in the 5th century BC. It was discovered in 1551, thanks to Friar Leandro Alberti, who was the first to find the remains of buildings, mosaics and coins, suggesting the presence of an ancient city. Etruscan presence in the area dates back to the 9th century BC. READ MORE >>>